Doesn’t my landlord’s insurance cover me?

When you rent, you may not think a lot about what would happen if your building caught fire and your apartment was damaged or destroyed. You may feel that your landlord owns the building, so they have insurance. At HBW Insurance Group in Catonsville, MD, we are locally owned and committed to providing our customers with quality insurance products and services. As independent insurance agents, we have more options to offer, leading to better pricing. 

If you are under the impression that your landlord has insurance, you are correct. They will have insurance that protects their building, so damage to that will be repaired. However, their insurance will not cover your property or protect you if someone is injured while visiting you, and if you need to find a place to stay while your rental is being repaired, you are on your own. 

What rental insurance will provide for you is all of those types of protection. It will allow you to replace your personal property. You have options for coverage that you should discuss with your insurance agent. But the content coverage will cover your personal things even if you are not at home. If you lose your purse or your computer, it can be replaced. 

Getting sued is probably not something you think about a lot, but you probably should. The danger is always out there. If someone is injured at your rental while visiting or by a family member, you could find yourself in a legal action. 

If your rental is damaged, where would you go while being repaired? If you have renters’ insurance, you would go to a hotel first and then a temporary rental. 

Contact HBW Insurance Group in Catonsville, MD when you are ready to discuss renters insurance.