In as much as we abhor them, accidents do happen. And when they do, their effects are often devastating. Also, your reaction could make the difference between a claim that will take months to settle and one that’s pretty straightforward.
Here’s what you need to do in case you’re involved in an accident in Catonsville, MD:
1. Stop and assess the damage. Do not drive away even though the accident is minor.
2. Should the situation be beyond your control, call the police. They will be able to assess the damage further as well as establish who was at fault. The police report will also come in handy when you are filing for a claim with your insurance provider, so, make sure that you give an accurate account of what happened. Gather necessary information such as the name and address of the other driver and the status of their insurance policies.
3. Call for an ambulance should anyone be injured. Make sure you protect the scene of the accident putting up flares and so on. If it’s necessary that you move your car, take photos before you do.
4. Report the accident to your auto insurance provider. Based on the severity of the accident, a decision will be made on whether the vehicle should be towed or it can be driven to the nearest garage. Your auto insurer will send an assessor to establish how much you should be compensated.
5. Your insurance provider will walk you through the process of filing for a claim. Ensure that you retain a copy of your claim form and other accident-related information.
In need of an auto insurance policy in Catonsville, MD? Contact HBW Insurance Group for a free estimate. We have an array of auto insurance coverage options designed to meet your auto insurance needs.