What Catonsville Residents Should Know Before Driving Abroad

For those traveling abroad from Cantonsville, Maryland, you should ask yourself one very important question: do you plan on driving on your international vacation? If the answer is “yes,” then you’ll probably need to do a few things in preparation for your trip to ensure that your plan to drive doesn’t turn into a scene out of National Lampoon’s European Vacation. Or worse.

The first thing you will want to do is find out whether or not your American driver’s license will allow you to drive in this foreign country. Each nation has different rules about drivers and their legal requirements to be behind the wheel. Many countries want foreign drivers to have an International Driving Permit, or IDP, which can be purchased for a small fee from AAA or the National Auto Club as long as you are 18 years of age.

Next know how auto insurance works in foreign countries, as international coverage usually can’t be done through your insurance provider in the United States, with a few notable exceptions. For travelers who are headed to Canada or Mexico, captive agents can provide full coverage, as these are neighboring countries to the USA. Yet for those who travel to places like Asia, Europe, Australia or anywhere else in the world, coverage must be obtained from an independent company like HBW Insurance Group, serving the greater Cantonville, Maryland area, who specializes in auto insurance plans for those who drive abroad.

Since insurance is meant to protect against unpredictability and few things are more unpredictable than driving in a foreign country, purchasing international auto coverage only makes sense. It’s better to have piece of mind anyway, so you can enjoy this international adventure.